- 2 pounds (about 7 cups) yellow onions, diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup amber ale
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chives, minced
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper, minced
- 2 cups (14 ounces) Treasure Cave® Crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese from Wisconsin
- 6 porterhouse or strip steaks, grilled to desired doneness
- Sauté the onion in the oil over low heat until reduced by half, caramelized and golden brown — about 20 minutes.
- Then, stir in the ale and season with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cook over low heat, until the liquid is reduced by one-third, and stir in the lemon zest.
- Add the chives and bell pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Then, remove the sauce from heat and stir in the Treasure Cave® Crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese.
- Serve immediately over the grilled steaks.
Recipe courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board